Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Running With The Cows

Sounds like fun, doesn't it?  Well it is not what it sounds like.  On Saturday, my birthday, my friends Erin, Hil, and I ran a half marathon.  It was titled Running with the Cows.  We didn't actually even see any cows, but there were a lot of beautiful horses.  The scenery was breath taking and the weather was perfect.
It has been years since I trained for  my last race, the Chicago marathon, and it was the pre-baby period.  It was time to do something for myself.  After talking with my girlfriends we decided that we would be able to train and complete a half marathon.  We looked into races around our area and it just so happened this race was on my birthday.  It was perfect timing really, it was just enough time for us to train.  We didn't actually train all that efficiently but with 3 kids can't expect much more.  I was lucky to get one run in during the week and then we would all do our long runs on Saturday morning. 
We were off to a great start for the first 9.5 miles. I learned something new during this race.  You can get motion sickness while running.  I know sounds crazy right? The race was down and back so once the runners started passing us going the opposite direction it hit me. I felt a wave rush over me and I knew it wasn't going to be good. It felt like I was riding a bus, and for those of you who know me I don't ride buses unless medicated.  So I got extremely light headed and dizzy.  Not much fun while running let me tell you. I had to lay down for a minute because I thought I was going to pass out. At that time I told Erin to leave so I didn't slow her down.  Thank goodness she listened or I would have felt awful.  Hilary pulled a head of the two of us from the beginning.  I got it together after a couple of minutes and then continued.  I will know to take Dramamine if I do another down and back race. 
I also learned what the term rolling hills means.  Originally the race was a stated it was a flat race.  Then it changed to rolling hills.  Well I usually run on FLAT pavement.  Rolling hills hurts.  My legs could still feel it 3 days later.  All in all it was great fun and so much fun to do with my friends.  Even turning 30 can't slow me down.  My time ended up 2:15. 
I had a great start to my birthday and learned a few things along the way.  It just shows you are never to old to learn!!

almost to the finish line, Payton came out to join me across the finish line.
 My running girls!
 Payton's playing with noodles
 My family out to support momma
 All of our families!! What great Dad's to bring the kids to see mom
 Gotta have a pic with the cow

1 comment:

Revercomb said...

Great Job! You should be proud of yourself!